Sprouted Spelt Pancackes

April 1st, 2013

post image

When I posted about my experiments with Tartine’s sourdough bread, I recieved a lot of questions about discarding the starter, since that technique calls for so much of the starter to be tossed every day. I found a way to utilize it in these simple, fluffy pancakes – it’s absolutely perfect for them. I make them vegan, but you can certainly add eggs to your batter if you prefer it that way. These pancakes are best when cooked on a cast iron pan – I own a tiny 5-inch one and it works wonderfully here. The coconut creme is easy and delicious as well, but I invite you to experiment with your own favorite pancake toppings.

post image

Sprouted Spelt Pancakes

for the pancakes
1 cup sourdough starter
1 1/2 cup warm purified water
2 1/2 cups spelt flour (I used sprouted spelt)
2/3 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons grape seed oil (or other vegetable oil), plus more for frying the pancakes

for the coconut creme
1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
1/2 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

to make the pancakes and coconut creme
1. In a large bowl, mix together the starter, water and flour. Cover and leave overnight.
2. Next morning whisk in the rest of the ingredients. Heat up about 1/2 tablespoon of oil in your pan at the medium heat.
3. Place the coconut milk in the freezer to thicken.
3. Add about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake to an oiled pan. Cook for about a minute, until the batter begins bubbling throughout and the underside becomes golden.
4. Flip and fry the other side for 30 seconds to a minute, until golden. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
5. When all the batter is used up, take the coconut milk out of the freezer. Mix in the honey and vanilla until smooth. If the milk began to freeze, give it a quick whirl in a blender, along with the honey and vanilla.
6. Serve the pancakes with coconut creme and fresh berries or any other toppings / sides you like.

Tags: breakfast, coconut creme, pancakes, recipe, spelt

• SUPAYUMMY says:

Oh my god, a mountain of pancakes ! I will die !

• amy chaplin says:

These look great. I’ve been looking for a good sourdough pancake recipe! Thanks for sharing!

• Tanya says:

I’m craving for wholegrain pancakes now. My grandmother use to make them with sourdough, they were delicious. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Kat says:

I love that you made them vegan. So beautiful!

• I’m always looking to use my sourdough starter and it’s so wonderful to see a recipe with spelt flour (sprouted no less!) being used. Those pancakes look awesome!

• Anonymous says:

Sprouted pancakes and coconut creme -that sounds divine!

• Ingrid says:

I have never thought about using sourdough starter in my pancakes, but will definitely try it by the end of the week. These look delicious!

• Yohann says:

I love spelt pancakes. They are so much lighter than wheat pancakes. I find that I need to add more baking soda to help them rise and less soy milk because there is less gluten. Love this! I have never used coconut sugar before. Can’t wait to try your recipe!

• live samachar

Nice Blog i will visit again

• joanie says:

The photo of the stack of pancakes is beautiful. There is something very wintery and Christmassy about it. Gorgeous recipe.

• Audrey says:

Can you make the Sprouted spelt pancakes without making sourdough bread? If so, where would one obtain the sourdough starter?

• S.Wineburg says:

can you post dietary numbers??

• Mary Kasapidis says:

I would also like to know where to buy the sourdough starter, and also the spelt flour. Does my regular supermarket carry it?

Thank you!

• sue whalen says:

i WOULD LOVE TO MAKE THESE BUT I DO NOT MAKE BREAD. IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THAT. WORK 12 HRS A DAY. JUST NO TIME. WOULD LOVE TO MAKE.
    CAN YOU ALSO POST DIETARY NUMBERS. WERE CAN I GET SPELT FLOWER.

• Anya says:

Sue, unfortunately these pancakes require a sourdough starter and I don’t know of an alternative, sorry. Usually you can get spelt flour in most health food stores.

• […] Get the recipe at Golubka Kitchen. http://golubkakitchen.com/ […]

• Jessica says:

Hi, can you make this pinterest accessible so I can save the recipe thank!

• Judith says:

You can buy spelt flour in some large supermarkets which are now carrying organic products. Also in Target. Look for Bob’s Red Mill products in clear packages. Also in Big Lots. I would like to see your sourdough recipe. It is a beautiful presentation.

Email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *