It may sound strange to some, but from time to time I truly crave tofu. I used to cook with it a whole lot years ago, during my discovery of vegetarian cooking. Although I’m well past that stage, I still like go back to a good, fresh slice of tofu once in a while. It’s a bit like a rare treat, since I don’t eat it often but when I do, I enjoy it immensely. My favourite way of preparing tofu has always been marinating and then lightly grilling it, which is what I do in this recipe.
We’ve also been taking full advantage of the citrus season and can’t get enough of grapefruits, Florida oranges and, of course, the most beautiful of the bunch – blood oranges. This marinated tofu with citrus salsa could definitely brighten up the most gloomy of January days.
In other news, recipes from the Golubka kitchen were featured in several printed publications this winter, including the Swedish Sofis Mode, Elle India and Taste of Australia. If you are in Russia, pick up a copy of Seasons of Life, it has a big interview with me in the January-February issue.
And don’t miss your chance to win the Wholistic Chakra System by leaving a comment in our previous post no later than January 27th, 6 pm EST.
1 grapefruit – segmented
1 orange – segmented
1 blood orange – segmented
1 ripe but firm avocado – peeled, pitted and chopped
⅛ small red onion – finely chopped
½ large or 1 small jalapeno chile – seeded and minced
large handful fresh cilantro leaves – chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
1. Segment your citrus over a bowl, collecting the juices. Set the bowl with the juices aside.
2. Chop the citrus segments into about 1/4 inch pieces. In a separate bowl, combine them with avocado, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper. Squeeze the lime juice over it and mix gently.
Ginger Marinated Tofu
1 package non-GMO firm or extra-firm tofu
citrus juices collected from segmenting the citrus (from the salsa recipe above)
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon tamari
1 tablespoon mirin wine (available at Asian markets)
small squeeze of honey – optional
1-inch piece ginger – finely grated
1. Drain the tofu and wrap it in several layers of paper towels. Place on a plate, cover with another plate and place something heavy on top (a jar filled with water works great). Leave it to drain for about 20 minutes.
2. Add lime juice, tamari, mirin, honey and ginger to the bowl with citrus juice from the salsa and whisk to combine.
3. Unwrap tofu and slice it into your preferred shape. Place in a dish that is big enough to hold all of the tofu and the marinade. Pour the marinade over, turning tofu pieces to make sure that all are evenly covered with the marinade. Leave to absorb the flavors for 30 minutes or longer, even overnight.
4. Grill for several minutes on each side until golden brown (time will differ depending on the type of grill you’re using). You can also bake the tofu at 425 F for about 20 minutes. Brush with marinade during grilling if you wish. Serve with citrus salsa and wilted spinach or other greens and enjoy.