Ending an emotional week with a light, fizzy drink and a giveaway for the beautiful Moscow Mule copper mugs you see in these photos. I very rarely drink alcohol anymore, not because I have much against having a drink on a special occasion, but because it throws me completely off track for the next couple of days – it’s a feeling of zero balance and uselessness in anything I try to do. A few years ago, I decided to take the matter into my own hands and not let myself feel that way anymore, thus the no drinking. During the holidays, though, I do like to make myself a special something to cheers with and sip on to get into a festive mood. My homemade kombucha always comes to the rescue in this department. This is the drink I’ll be making with it this year, with all the foundations of a Moscow Mule – ginger, lime, mint, plus some warming winter spices to add a bit of interest and a holiday spark. I use fresh ginger juice here, which adds that extra bit of kick and brightness to this drink. Before you get discouraged, making a small portion of ginger juice is super easy. All you have to do is run some grated ginger through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to extract a little bit of the juice. You can definitely make this mule into a boozy drink as well, just reduce the amount of kombucha and add vodka, about 1 part vodka to 3 parts kombucha, or whatever ratio you prefer.
Now onto the giveaway. The very nice people at Knooop are giving away a set of their beautiful, 100% copper, hammered Moscow Mule Mugs to two GK readers. The set also comes with a copper shot glass. To enter the giveaway, leave a comment here telling us about one special person in your life. It can be anyone from your mom to your neighbor, your pharmacist, or someone you encounter on your commute. Let’s spread some love! Giveaway is U.S. and Europe only and open until November 20, 2016.
Knooop is also offering a 20% off coupon, use code V3FU-AF2Y9P-4X2JWS at checkout here to get the discount, until end of December 2016.
Some links after the jump. Enjoy your Sunday :)
Lo and Behold – just watched this great Werner Herzog documentary about the internet and its effects on our lives – terrifying and fascinating, highly recommended
20th Century Women – can’t wait to see this movie
Doing Well – new instagram crush, where Daphne Javitch shares her wellness wisdom, with fun visuals and lighthearted, inspiring tips.
- 2½ tablespoons ginger juice, from approximately 4" piece ginger
- 3 cups kombucha
- juice of 2 large limes, plus more lime quarters for serving
- handful mint leaves
- freshly ground cloves - to taste
- nutmeg, cinnamon or both - to taste
- Shred the ginger. Place the shredded ginger into a piece of layered cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer, squeeze out the juice into a cup or bowl.
- Combine ginger juice with kombucha and lime juice in a large vessel and mix.
- Muddle some ice and chopped mint leaves at the bottom of each mug or glass. Distribute mixture between glasses. Grate fresh cloves, nutmeg/cinnamon over each mug/glass. Garnish with lime quarters, more mint leaves and serve.