Blood Orange and Fennel Salad

December 8th, 2012

post image

Citrus season has taken off here in Florida. I’ve noted at least five different varieties of oranges, as well as tangerines and grapefruit while out and about. My favourite citrus fruit has got to be the blood orange – I am amazed every single time I cut one open and see its unbelievable colour.
Here is a salad to take advantage of all that abundance. Citrus, fennel, and quick marinated onions make for a refreshing, sunny dish. Lately, I’ve been very much into fennel, raw and cooked, making this fennel confit for weekday dinners.
In other news, Golubka was featured in the holiday issues of Vie and Fork magazines – what an honor!
And lastly, have you seen Sarah B.’s Ted Talk?!

post image

Blood Orange and Fennel Salad
(serves 4)

1/8 medium size red onion – peeled and sliced
1/2 lemon

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
juice of 1 orange

3-4 oranges – peeled and sliced
2 clementines – peeled and separated into segments
about 7-8 olives, I used green and black Cerignola
1 fennel bulb – shaved

Squeeze lemon juice over onion slices and let sit while you boil some water. Pour boiling water over the onions to cover them completely and let sit for a couple of minutes. Drain, rinse quickly and squeeze out the excess water with your fingers.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey and orange juice. Pour 1/2 of the mixture over the onions and let it marinate for 30 minutes or longer.
Peel the skins off the clementine segments. Arrange the orange slices, clementine segments, and olives on a serving plate, top with fennel shavings and marinated onions. Sprinkle the rest of the dressing over the salad. Garnish with ground pistachios.

Tags: fennel, orange, recipe, salad

• Penni says:

I can’t wait to make this – looks amazing! Would be nice at Christmas morning brunch!

• Tanya says:

Such lovely colors and seems very easy to make. Thanks for the great recipe!

• Anonymous says:

Congrats on magazine features, happy Holidays!

• Sofia says:

Blood oranges are one of my favourites too! I love the fennel and orange combo, but have never thought of adding olives. Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing =)

• Tina says:

I love your photos, presentation and recipes. I never tried a blood orange, it looks so beautiful.

• That’s a very simple and genius winter salad to make. Love it!

• Anonymous says:

Can I form a recipe book from this site I don’t want to loose any of these amazing recipes

• Uma says:

Gorgeous salad, I’m making it for sure!!!

• curly wigs says:

Thanks for your sharing, it’s a good post, keep going and support you.

• Those oranges look so yummy, gorgeous salad

• Anonymous says:

I’m making this right now, it is going to be so delicious. But I’m having a bit of trouble peeling the skins off the mandarin segments. Any suggestions?

• Happy Fennel Friday! We love this recipe and it is featured on our Raw Fennel recipe round-up this week! Thanks for sharing!

Email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *