Raw Colour Wheel Wraps

November 5th, 2010

post image

I am ever-captivated by the creativity and extravagance of Japanese cuisine. I could stare at this set of photos for hours on end, mesmerised and intrigued by the mysterious ingredients and the form they take. Only the Japanese can make food so aesthetic, vibrant, and unique – all at the same time. The combination of ancient traditions and brave modernism bring their food culture to untouched heights.

post image

Here, we combined maki-sushi rolling techniques with our favourite spicy Thai wrap recipe.

post image

The result was exactly what I’ve imagined and dreamed of making – a flavourful and striking dish. This particular rolling technique is called Rokusha or colour wheel, a very appropriate title.

post image

The colourful wrappers alone can be eaten as a snack, kid-approved by Paloma. (The same recipe was used to make the edible leaves that accompanied our Halloween cookies).

post image

I am always in a state of excitement when cooking, but preparing this dish left me especially exhilarated – so much visual stimulation!

post image
post image
post image

Green Wrapper
3 cups zucchini – cubed
meat of 1 fresh young Thai coconut
1/4 cup water of young Thai coconut
1/4 cup ground golden flax seeds
1 bunch cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Yellow Wrapper
flesh of 2 ripe mangos
2 1/2 medium carrots
meat of 1 fresh young Thai coconut
1/4 cup water of young Thai coconut
1/4 cup ground golden flax seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric

Purple Wrapper
1 small papaya OR 1 large mango
1/2 small beet root
meat of 1 fresh young coconut
1/4 cup ground golden flax seeds

If you decide to make the rolls exactly like ours, you might need to double the amount of ingredients for your wrappers in order to have enough wrapping material for each group of ingredients within each colour roll.

Blend all the ingredients for each colour wrap separately in a high speed blender. Spread thickly on Teflex sheet-lined dehydrator trays, and dehydrate for about 3-4 hours, or until dry to touch. Flip and peel away the Teflex sheets. Dehydrate for another 30 minutes to an hour, until the underside is completely dry, but the wraps are still pliable. The dehydration time, thickness, and final colour can vary significantly, depending on the quality of produce used.

Filling
(adapted from Raw Food/Real World)
1/2 cup chopped raw cashews
1 handful cilantro
1 handful basil – torn
1 handful mint leaves
1 large carrot – cut into thin strips
1 large mango – cut into strips
1 cucumber – seeded and cut into strips

Mix cashews with sesame oil and salt. Set aside.
Puree the next 5 ingredients in a high speed blender. Add the almond butter while the blender is still running, at a low speed.

Using your hands, thoroughly combine the shredded cabbage with the blended mixture, salted cashews, and herbs.The rolling technique used here is called Rokusha or colour wheel, and you can find step-by step rolling instructions in a sushi encyclopedia. Start with rolling the spicy cabbage for the center in any color wrap you prefer. Then roll each of the remaining ingredients individually. Arrange them around the center as shown in the photos. Using a sushi mat, roll everything together into one whole wrap. Wet the edges of the wrappers to help them stay together. Let the rolls sit in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Using a very sharp knife, cut into pieces of desired thickness, or eat whole as a wrap.

Tags: food, raw food, recipe, savoury

• Sara Tanner says:

those. look. amazing.

• Iris Larisa Kogan says:

Prosto fantasticheski!!!!

• vlp08 says:

Wow. Those are so cool.

• Happy Chef says:

The most amazing sushi rolls I’ve ever seen anywhere and in any country. No need to worry about old fish either. Photos are incredibly vibrant and enticing. Great job and I’m sure great tasting!

• Neeta Bali says:

Stunning!!!

• heidi says:

beautiful (and healthy!!!). I want to eat them right away.

• so beautiful… I learnt to make sushi years ago on a specialist course, but I haven’t made it for years… perhaps you’ve inspired me to get the sushi mat out!

• VeganLisa says:

Swoon.
    Every post is a work of art. I am totally inspired to give this a try. Thank you Golubka!

• Vanille says:

What a fun healthy and beautiful food !

• Sue says:

Those look sooooo beautiful, and really, really, delicious, too!!

• Kara Lamb says:

They so appeal to the artist in me!! color wheel raw food – love it!!! :) :)

• Kasi Bern says:

OMG… GOLUBKA is BACK !!! with a rainbow of colours ♥

• Carolyn Lieschke says:

Want to check these out!

• Gourmande says:

They look really gorgeous.
    Do you think it’s possible to make the sheets on a hot plate like the nori sheets and the rice paper ?

• Anonymous says:

I love the look of these!! Is there any way to make them without young coconut?

• alyssa says:

You are driving me crazy! I want to eat/make ALL of your recipes soo bad, but feel that I don’t have the time, patience or creativity! Everything is just spectacular on your blog!! <3

• Jennifurla says:

what a pleasure to even look at these, very cool

• Callie! says:

Your creativity always blows me away – Beautifully done!

• Silani Wahlgren says:

Golubka, you rock! Love the colour and also, for filling, adding sesame oil to cashews (I’m assuming they were soaked?) sounds delicious.

• Marianne Callaghan says:

Beautiful healthy and delicious.

• LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Total gorgeousness.

• Vegolicious says:

Wow, these wraps are works of art and so creative!

I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian photo gallery showcasing the best vegetarian dishes and recipes on the web.

• Coco says:

These will be perfect for a little dinner party we are having this week! I have some young coco’s in the fridge :) Thank you for the beautiful recipe!

• Wow! These pictures are great =) I can’t wait to try some of these fillings!

• sisinpacific says:

Those are beautiful. Well done!

• Anonymous says:

I`m a Japaese.
    Your blog is amazing !!
    I`m very happy that you like japanese food and ingredients.

• Kimberly says:

this is fantastic. I love these pictures and this idea is so wonderful.

• susanna says:

Oh my Golubka, this is Magic and pure Love!
    Stunning creations and mouthwatering recipes
    Bravo!

• Marty says:

OMG – I don’t think I’ve seen anything so beautiful in my life! I wish I had the nerve to try them or patience!

• Just stunning. I’m in love with your blog! I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve added it to the ‘blogs I love’ tab on my site. :)

• Jorge says:

Dear Friend,

We have known your work and it seems interesting.
    We are a newly created website dedicated to the vegetarian theme.
    The sense of creation is to communicate the vision been a vegetarian
    world cuisine. We are a nonprofit organization.
    So far we have achieved the first 3.000 visitors and the interest of
    photographers and bloggers kitchen, who decided to join our project
    and wanted to collaborate on the “recetas” (recipes on Spanish).
    At the moment the site is written in Spanish, although some recipes
    are in English.
    We can send you a PDF example of what I’m telling you.
    We would like to have your valuable cooperation.
    You just have to give us permission to publish your photos and
    vegetarian recipes. As you can see in the example, we inform about the
    author of the photos and the recipe, and includes a link to your
    website.We can take care of preparing the format of the recipe with
    the material you submit. The idea is to publish a book in the future.
    We hope to hear from you, Yours sincerely,

J. Jorge Contreras

• Golubka says:

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments!

Dom: Great, hope you got the chance to!

Gourmande: Thank you. I think it’s worth a try, although I can’t say for sure.

Anonymous 11:35 – Thank you. Unfortunately, these particular wraps wouldn’t be the same without young coconut.

Anonymous 2:28 – Oh how wonderful, thanks so much! Japanese cuisine blows me away :)

Greenandjuicy: Thank you, we don’t mind at all :)

Jorge: Thanks for your interest! You can post our recipes as long as you link back to Golubka.

• So much color! I love them! beautiful photography!

• bonnesante says:

I had the fortune of stumbling across your blog yesterday and spent about an hour trawling through your old posts, because they are so amazingly beautiful! Wonderful, wonderful photography. I’m inspired!

• Pauline. says:

Just … Beautiful and amazing !

They are very colourful, I want to eat one them now ..!

• Ria says:

Wow looks soooo pretty.

• Luise says:

PERFECTION! I love it -as always btw! If only we had a dehydrator…

• mark says:

truely puzzeld i am, while delicious it look, i wonder why it is labled thai. there is nothing thai about it beside its name,,,,,,

• yafa says:

omg amazing. I want to use all of your recipes on our retreats!

• Jane Macdonald says:

beautiful…food as art! ♥

• Alejandro says:

Would you happen to have any famliy photo’s that were taken in Sterling that you would be willing to share? I live in Sterling and am interested in the history. Any photo’s that also include buildings are of interest.I remember your Aunt Francis and Uncle Dugan and Butch, they lived down the road from me when I was growing up.

• sn says:

Question:
    If I make the wrappers without doubling the ingredients, how many wrappers will I have in each color? And how many rolled colour wheel wraps will I have once assembled?
    Thank you for your help :) I would like to make these for an upcoming brunch :) They are so beautiful!
    Stacy

• Just joined Pinterest and came across this, I love it! Really beautiful. I’m going to try to make them at home but I have a feeling they won’t look half as good.

• vannetj says:

This is such a yummie blog! Thanx for sharing… x

• Anonymous says:

All of your pictures are amazing, you are truly food artists! There’s a lot of your recipe that ask for the meat of one young coconut, but I wonder what quantity it represents. I can only find this product frozen in bags. May you tell me a volume or a weight equivalent to one young coconut? Thanks!

• […] Recipe and Photo credit to golubkakitchen.com […]

Email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *