Raw Building Block Cakes on Sasha’s Birthday

December 20th, 2010

post image

First, apologies for being away for a little while. Between finals and some unexpected health problems, we’ve had a bit of a hard time keeping up with the blog.

Now, let me take you back to a warm October day in Tampa. Sasha’s first birthday.
Sasha is my friend N.’s son. N. is a great interior designer and has a deep love for modern design. She wanted to have something healthy and unique as Sasha’s birthday cake. A dessert that echoed the architecture of Glazer Children’s Museum (where we celebrated) with its basic shapes and flat colours.

post image

We decided on individual cakes shaped as the sort of wooden building blocks we had as kids. There was no messy icing, so the children could just grab the cakes and eat them without any utensils and minimal staining.

post image

For the presentation, N. had the idea of a black board and chalk. In Russian schools, it is a custom for the teachers to put down the day’s date on the board at the beginning of each class. We wrote October 9th, 2010.

post image

For the base of the cakes, I used this recipe for chocolate truffles. For wrapping – this one from our Colour Wheel Wraps. I use them quite a lot – the wraps come out sturdy, pretty, and tasty.

post image

Sasha and Paloma spend two days a week together. They are an ideal pair, as they both live to eat and are very fond of second helpings.

post image

Sasha is Paloma’s only younger friend, and although she’s not always gentle with him, she has been learning about being older and acting accordingly.

post image

The celebration was lots of fun. N. did a beautiful job organizing the venue. The birthday boy enjoyed the dessert and seemed prepared to eat most of the blocks.

Chocolate Truffle recipe here
Colour Wrapper recipe here (minus salt and pepper)

I made the different shapes by putting the chocolate mass into molds. The spheres were created by simply rolling between palms. I cut the exact sizes and shapes of the cakes out of the colour wraps and put them onto the blocks. The colour sheets stuck well without any glueing agent.

Tags: children, dessert, food, food for tots, natalie, paloma, raw food, recipe

• hYfunda says:

i hope are are doing better. is everyone all right? these cakes are so beautiful. your raw foods are the MOST creative i have ever seen. everything is lovely!

• I can’t believe your creativity! Way to make raw food fun!

• Flo Makanai says:

In France, today, near Paris, we’re under the snow and there is not a spark of sun, so opening my computer and seeing that new post of yours, so colorful and joyful is like a … christmas present!
    I absolutely love what you blog about, you know it but I’m in awe.
    I hope your health problems are far behind you all and that you’ll enjoy fabulous festive times to celebrate the end of 2010 and the beginning of 2011!
    Please keep posting when you’re able too, it’s such a pleasure to visit Golubka, really.

• Sweet Faery says:

This is a great idea and combination of ingredients! Glad to have you back, I hope you’re better now :)

• Susanna Eduini says:

Ditto, from Italy!!

• Kara Lamb says:

The photography and recipes are exquisite, as usual! :)

• Kasi Bern says:

Golubka, I have MISSED YOU SO MUCH ~!!!! ♥

• Zhenya says:

Super post!!!!! A nozhka to Romika!!!!!!

• This is so creative! I love all the vivid colors! Thanks for sharing!

• Jennifurla says:

you have the best posts, I feel like you are just the most creative person!@ Lovely.

• Golubka says:

hYfunda: Thanks so much! Everything is fine :)

Jennifer and Jaclyn: Thanks so much for your comment!

Flo: You are so sweet, thanks for your ever-encouraging comments! We, on the other hand, are longing for some snow. You always wish for what you can’t have :)

Sweet Faery: Thank you :)

Susanna: Thanks!

Kara: Thank you!

Kasi: Thanks, we missed you too :)

Zhenya: Thank you! Ножка ромкина, да :)

Christelle: Thank you!

Jennifurla: Thanks so so much for your comment!

• Natali ilataN says:

The reason, why I am a huge fan of modern art is because it makes you think and feel from different points of view .Ability to look at things from different angles to me is the most important teaching that I have to convey to my sun. That is why I am so ineradicably happy and thankful to Golubka for her remarkable gift. People usually cherish the picture with their first cake almost the same way they cherish wedding pictures. I feel like Stein’s family who were obtaining an early Picasso with a thought how incredibly important his ideas where for the world. That is precisely why I am such a huge fan of Golubka’s art. Again thank so much, you are amazing!

• Sous Chef Sean says:

We are so glad to have you and your amazing work back to view in awe. There simply isn’t anything else that we’ve found that comes close. Sasha is probably already drooling just thinking about B-day #2, and I can certainly understand why he and Paloma are big fans of seconds. Wishing you and your family much peace and happiness this and all holiday seasons. My son’s B-day is coming up, can i fly you over for the festivities?

• Juli says:

i love seeing people in your photos. thanks so much for sharing all of that!

• Golubka says:

Natali: Thanks so much! The comparison is super flattering :) Your ideas are always inspiring.

Sean: Come on over, you’re always invited :)

Juli: Thank you, they’re quite lovely people!

Email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *