Hi friends! If you’re in need of one more super simple but stunning veggie dish for your holiday table, we’ve got you. Squash and sweet potatoes are typically paired with rich, earthy ingredients like sage, nuts, butter, etc. during the holiday season. That’s always a winning combination, but we also love this fresh and vibrant take on preparing the starchy fall vegetables. We roast delicata squash half-moons and sweet potato rounds until tender, then drizzle them with lime juice and tamari, and shower everything with pistachios and cilantro. The brightness of the lime cuts right through the dense and grounding nature of the squash and potatoes, making for the most heavenly flavor combination. Some crunch from pistachios, and a green, herbal hit from cilantro (always so good with lime) perfectly complete the dish. This one definitely looks and tastes like it took much more time and effort than it actually requires.
I know that many of us are celebrating differently this year, but enjoying delicious food is always a great idea, no matter the size of your celebration. Plus, good food doesn’t always have to be super laborious or elaborate – sometimes the simpler, the better. Wishing all those celebrating a healthy and happy Thanksgiving. Super thankful for you!
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into ½" rounds
- 1 medium delicata squash, seeded and cut into ½" half moons
- avocado oil or olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 juicy limes
- ½ teaspoon tamari or coconut aminos
- ⅛ cup shelled raw or roasted pistachios, chopped roughly
- large handful of cilantro leaves, torn roughly
- Preheat the oven to 425° F (220° C). Prepare a large, parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Put the sweet potato and squash on the baking sheet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Mix with your hands to coat. Roast for 15 minutes, then flip the potatoes and squash and roast for another 15 minutes, or until cooked through and browned in places. Arrange the roasted potatoes and squash on a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, combine the juice of 1 lime and the tamari, mix until smooth. Slice the other lime into wedges for serving. Drizzle the roasted vegetables with the lime-tamari mixture and sprinkle with the pistachios and cilantro. Arrange the lime wedges on the serving plate. Serve right away, warm or at room temperature.