A confession – I’ve never actually tried a classic root beer float, but if it’s anything like this kombucha float, I’m all in. It’s a recent discovery for me, and the absolute favorite, quick treat of the season in our household. I’ve been making my own kombucha for years, but took a very long break from the booch production recently, because of all the chaos that came with the kitchen renovations. I finally got the scoby and starter back in shape, and have been infusing my kombucha with strawberries, raspberries and basil for a summery flair. I thought a berry kombucha would make for a nice, probiotic alternative to root beer and decided to drop a few scoops of my favorite vanilla ice cream into a glass of it to see what happens. That first sip was so good that I had to take a quiet moment to myself and take the float down to the pool to enjoy it in the sun. The contrast of the bubbly sharpness of the kombucha and the smooth creaminess of the ice cream is heavenly. The berries and basil contribute their fresh, sunny notes, and I could imagine infusing this treat with all kinds of other fruit and berries. If you aren’t into making your own kombucha, you can just buy it (already flavored) for an express version of the float :)
Lots of great weekend links below, enjoy your Sunday!
16 Personalities – this nicely designed personality test was so fun to take and the results were pretty accurate (Anya is a ‘Mediator’ / Masha is an ‘Architect’)
The Savvy Cook – Izzy Hossack’s new budget vegetarian cookbook looks amazing
Stasher Reusable Food Bags – I use ziplock bags a whole lot, and even though I tend to reuse them a few times, I don’t feel great about storing my food in plastic, not to mention eventually throwing the plastic away. Putting an end to that with these reusable, food grade silicone storage bags that are freezer/dishwasher safe.
Self Care: Routines for Busy People – an interview with the founders of CAP Beauty
Sans Ceuticals Journal – even though I’ve never tried this brand’s products, I love the interviews and recipes over at their journal.
Pyramid Crudité – tempted to cut all of my veggies this way from now on :p
Raspberry Tomato Yogurt Pops?! – what a great idea
Loungewear Dress – I want one in every color
- handful of mixed organic strawberries and raspberries, plus more for serving - sliced for strawberries
- handful of basil leaves - rubbed between your hands to bruise
- 3-4 cups plain kombucha
- a few scoops of vanilla ice cream (I used Coconut Bliss non-dairy)
- Place the berries and basil in a bottle or jar and muddle with the back of wooden spoon. Add the kombucha, cover and place in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Distribute the kombucha between two glasses and drop a few ice-cream scoops inside each glass. Add more berries, if desired, and enjoy immediately.
- If using store-bought flavored kombucha, distribute the berries and basil between two glasses and muddle with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the chilled kombucha to the glasses and drop a few ice-cream scoops inside each glass. Enjoy right away.