We’ve been making this lush, jammy spread on repeat lately. It’s been such a hit! This is a more low-maintenance version of a true jam that lasts a long time. This one comes together with more speed, doesn’t require too much sugar, and is meant to be enjoyed within a week or so (we think you won’t have a problem with this!). The reasonable amount the recipe makes reflects that as well.
It’s no secret that things on toast make for the easiest, laziest, and most satisfying weeknight meals. This savory jam, spread over toast with a layer of cashew cheese (we’ve been loving Treeline) has been just that for us – a comforting weeknight lifesaver for a particularly busy time in the life. We hope it will be the same for you :)
This jam looks like it’s all about the tomatoes, but it’s really about the marriage of slowly cooked, sweet red onion and the umami bomb that are late summer tomatoes. Both are cooked gently on the stovetop, melding their flavors and caramelizing until thick, glossy, and sweet. Punchy white wine vinegar and a little bit of coconut sugar help take all the flavors to their peak, but in the end it’s really all about these two magical vegetables. Here’s to late summer, its still vibrant produce, longer shadows, cooler evenings, and balmy days <3
- olive oil
- 1 medium red onion - diced
- sea salt
- 1½ lbs cherry tomatoes - halved
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Heat a generous pour of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, and sauté for 7 minutes, until translucent. Add the tomatoes, another pinch of salt and black pepper to taste. Keep sautéing for about 10 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to break down, then mix in the vinegar and sugar.
- Keep cooking the vegetables over medium heat - everything in the pan should be gently simmering - for another 30-40 minutes, until all the liquid released by the tomatoes reduces. You should end up with a thick, jammy spread that's uniform and not liquidy. Taste for salt, sugar and acid and adjust if needed. Enjoy on toast with something creamy like nut cheese, topped with fresh basil, or however else you prefer! Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a week.