It’s interesting how motivating the tiniest tips from people you care about or respect can be. I was recently on a short flight and read the autobiography of a certain Soviet-era singer, whose music I grew up with. It was a thin, throwaway paperback that I read back to back during the flight, but something about her positivity really made an impression on me. This singer is almost eighty years old, but looks great and has stayed incredibly active, and the book is studded with small, often old-school tips of how she believes she’s managed to keep up her health. She walks everywhere she goes, covering large distances on foot in Saint Petersburg, Russia, and her two drinks of choice are carrot juice in the morning and chamomile tea at night. Sure enough, I’ve been noticing myself drinking both of those with more frequency and taking longer walks whenever possible. And it doesn’t matter to me how silly of a motivation that was, if it helps me get from point A to point B in taking more care of myself, I’m all in.
So here’s the carrot-based tonic I’ve been inspired to drink more often. Since I don’t love pure carrot juice, I doctor it up with ginger, turmeric, lemon and honey, which makes it a true remedy and a preventative for winter colds and flu. It’s delicious – potent, refreshing, spicy and sinus-clearing, and a little goes a long way – I like having a shot or a small glass at a time.
Some weekend links after the jump, stay warm this Sunday :)
Yvon Chouinard of Patagonia on the How I Built This Podcast (scroll down a few)
- 8-10 large carrots - peeled if not organic
- 1" piece ginger or more - peeled if not organic
- 1" piece fresh turmeric root - peeled if not organic
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Run the carrots, ginger, turmeric and lemon through a juicer. Pour juice into a blender, add the honey and blend until the honey is incorporated. Enjoy.
2. I generally use a bit more than 1" of ginger for this amount of juice, but I like things really fiery. If you are the same way, add some more ginger.
3. We both have this Omega juicer and absolutely love it.